By Chris Wright
His is a name that doesn’t often come up when great goals are being discussed, but Barnsley stalwart Darren Barnard has every right to be included in the canon thanks to a moment of magic against Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield in November of 1998.
The Tykes absolutely thumped the Terriers on the day, winning 7-1, with Barnard putting his side 6-0 up with this truly stupendous, angled ripper of a volley…
To quote Pies fan Dave Regis, who brought this spectacular effort to our attention: “That were a reyt hit!”
Fun fact: Darren Barnard once found himself ruled out for five – five! – months with torn knee ligaments after he slipped in a puddle of his puppy’s urine on the kitchen lino.
More random great goals on Pies…
1. Patrick M’Boma (Gamba Osaka) vs Shonan Bellmare
2. Lothar Matthaus (Bayern Munich) vs Bayer Leverkusen
3. Ian Wright (Arsenal) vs Swindon
4. Roberto Cabanas (New York Cosmos) vs Tulsa Roughnecks
5. Steve Bull (England) vs Czechoslovakia
6. Thierry Henry (Arsenal) vs SC Wiez
7. Muzzy Izzet (Leicester) vs Grimsby