Top 10 Marmite Players

By Ollie Irish

The footballers you either love to hate or love to love.

pa-7870629

Picture 1 of 10

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Massive tool or massive talent?

Photos: PA

Anyone we missed? Anyone who doesn’t deserve to be there? I tried to avoid players like Gary Neville and John Terry, who are only really hated by people who don’t support the club they play for.

For the record, I love Marmite. Also for the record, this post was not sponsored by Marmite. But, you know, if the people at Marmite read this and want to send us a crate of delicious yeast extract, well, that’s their business. Ahem.

By Ollie Irish on September 2nd, 2010 in Featured, Photos, Top 10s & lists. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
comments

40 Responses to “Top 10 Marmite Players”

1. C says:

I rarely “hate” football players, but I clench my fist in a true John Cleese style everytime I see Drogba…

2. Álvaro says:

Only Mourinho can hate Iniesta. Mmmm, maybe the Hawaiian Tropic marketing department as well.

3. The truth says:

Shocked and appalled at Iniestas inclusion. The rest are an infuriating bunch of twats. Gerrard is a more prolific diver than iniesta in my humble opinion.

4. gaptooth says:

Poor list – cos youve basically named 7-8 of the best players in the world – at this moment in time – who u can only hate for the same reasons u said for terry and neville . how many chmpions league , premiership and world cup winners were there in that 10 – about 8

The likes of Walcott, Shaun Wright Phillips , Dirk Kuyt , John obi Mikel , ledley King , craig bellamy, Reyes, ambrosini, defoe, luis fabiano and darren Bent all invite much more arguments than players like fabregas and iniesta – who should never make lists like this

poor list mate

5. frank says:

@gaptooth..Agreed. Especially as SWP (england squad?), walcott (football brain etc) have all recently divided opinion.

6. Donner Meat says:

Even though I am a Liverpool fan I fucking love Didier Drogba. He’s like the Darth Vader of the premier league.

7. spectator says:

mascherano – brilliant ball winner or whingy thug?

sir alex ferguson – legendary manager or one-eyed, self-entitled crank?

8. [...] Marmite Footballers at Who ate all the pies. Tell you who was always Marmite, Lee Hendrie. He just had one of those faces. A bit like Bret Ormerod does (but I think that’s because he looks a bit like Lee Bowyer). [...]

9. Kipp says:

So we are universal in our hatred of JT then?

10. Ollie Irish says:

Gaptooth – Some interesting choices there, and some great suggestions. I concede the list features mostly big names, but I think they are all, for different reasons, Marmitey. I know a lot of fans who hate Fabregas, and not because of the club he plays for (for example). But point taken.

11. Binnsey says:

what about Darren Fletcher? Carrick and Ashley Cole?
    I’m a Forest fan and I don’t just hate them because of their clubs.
    I hate because they are over-rated.

12. Peadar says:

Where is ashley Cole in this list……

13. tottenblog says:

How is Jermaine Jenas not in this list? For the record, I hate him.

14. Conan says:

Harry kewell

15. Josh Khan says:

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR!!!!!!!

16. JS. says:

Iniesta? more like PIGiesta. Nah but seriously, guy is a massive tool.

17. Jack says:

Do people hate Iniesta? I thought everyone loved him, everyone I know loves him. Joey Barton however, no one likes him, he’s a terrible person.

Bellemy, Ashley Cole, Adebayor, Pepe, Sergios Ramos, Obi Mikel, Mascherano, Robben, Van Bommel and Walter Samuel are a few players I would have liked to have seen on the list

18. blitzen says:

How could anyone possibly hate Andres Iniesta???

19. Kolo says:

Fabregas cocky?

20. Trololololo says:

@Alvaro, Jack, Blitzen-Most of Holland hates Iniesta now, he’s like our version of the ‘winker’ with his relentless diving and card-waving. Not making excuses for the Dutch during the final, but Iniesta’s Drogba act was one of the reasons poor Howard Webb had such a shocker and sent off Johnny Heitinga for tying his shoelaces the wrong way (or something, I’m still not sure) whilst letting Kung Fu Nigel stay on the pitch.

My Marmite man has got to be Van Persie. He’s a professional footballer making millions and adored by many, yet he always looks as if his dog just took a dump on his Frosties. Also, he completely phoned in his performance at the World Cup, leaving the other 10 to overtire themselves, as he knew he wouldn’t be dropped due to his link with the manager.

Rant over, I’m gonna rustle up some marmite sandwiches…

21. Ollie Irish says:

See, I told you Iniesta was pure Marmite!

22. Ryan Kam says:

“…John Terry, who are only really hated by people who don’t support the club they play for.”

Uh, I’d say the jury is largely out on that one.

23. James says:

Add the entire Barcelona squad for tapping up Fabregas and Mascherano.

24. blitzen says:

Trololololo: Did you see the video of Iniesta’s knees after the WC final? That boy had the sh*t kicked out of him! I don’t call that diving.

25. burgy says:

umm.busquets. and JT

26. dennis says:

blitzen
    Did he hurt his knee when he fell down whilst running to the ref begging for a yellow card for his opponent?

27. yessa says:

barton shouldn’t be there. its impossible to love him at all.

28. kritter says:

I can understand being Spurs, or even Chelsea and hating Cesc, but is he really a “brash, cocky arse”? He seems like a quality kid other than that he’s Arsenal.

29. Domm says:

Camoranesi is the most annoying player on the planet.

30. Wes says:

Nicolas Anelka anyone…

31. Baggees says:

Nani?! Ronaldoesque in his irritation levels but with less pretty balls…

32. guyfrmars says:

cesc for Arsenal?
    half-arsed effort.come on you can do better.
    Try Diaby or Eboue.

33. shrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr says:

@guyfrmmars: That photo of cesc does make him look like a real arse. I have to say I’m a fan of the way he plays, but that picture is brilliant.

34. Cassious says:

gerrard pure class… you cocksuckers

35. Cassious says:

fuckin fabregas little shithouse

36. sean says:

this list’s title is very misleading =[
    it seems like everyone on the list is the best in the world, why would you hate iniesta for scoring the world cup winning goal? i guess the whole italy squad sucks cause they won in 2006. this list is like the france national team; it sucks and shouldnt exist

37. the bhoy says:

Whoah,whoah! Take it easy on the Fabregas one,yeah? I sense a bit off hate there.