Putting three past an Italian defence? How Ruud
1. The best game of the tournament so far, and the perfect tonic to the snoozefest that was France-Romania. Exciting action from start to finish, attacking football and excellent passing on display.
2. And the best goal of the tournament so far too. An excellent sweeping counter-attack finished expertly by Wesley Sneijder.
3. But also the worst decision of the tournament so far. How on earth did the assistant referee not notice Ruud Van Nistelrooy was approximately six yards offside for Holland’s opener? UPDATE: Apparently it was in fact the best decision of the tournament so far!
4. Who would have thought we would be talking about Italy’s defensive frailties in the first week of a major tournament? Italy – Cannavaro = shaky.
5. There were some outstanding saves from arguably the best two goalkeepers in the tournament. The score would probably have been something like 5-2 with lesser men between the sticks.