1. You can never write off the Germans, the Germans will also be there or thereabouts and, erm, you can’t keep a good German down. Roll out the cliches, the Germans are in the semis.
2. Ricardo is going to be lynched. A costly blunder of Petr Cech proportions from the Portugal keeper.
3. Michael Ballack might exude arrogance from every pore, but it is justified at the moment. He is playing some of his best football for years and seems to have a real hunger back in his game.
4. Per Mertesacker is like a giraffe but with the turning circle of the Titanic.
5. Joachim Low should stay away from the touchline more often. His team perform well, he all but hid his sweaty armpits, and he could even manage a crafty fag.