“The Chaaaaampions…” (sings the theme tune)
With the Champions League final little more than 24 hours away, Pies rounds up 25 of the finest strikes the competition has ever seen. Because you’re worth it…
25. Mancini, ROMA v Lyon
This goal always makes me smile. It’s like a Pro Evolution Soccer goal, complete with opponent-baiting stepovers.
24. Kaka, MILAN v Celtic
The Brazilian didn’t have many players to beat, but the final burst of acceleration, followed by a composed finish, was a joy to watch.
23. Thierry Henry, ARSENAL v Sparta Prague
A quite beautiful finish by TH9 with the outside of his right foot. (Goal can be seen, briefly, at 1:21 into the above video).
22. Lars Ricken, BORUSSIA DORTMUND v Juventus
The sub scored with his first touch in the 1997 CL final, after being on the field for less than 20 seconds. And what a sweet touch it was.
21. George Weah, PSG v Bayern Munich
Fast-forward to about eight minutes in (No.2 video on the compilation) to see Weah at his dynamic best.
20. Paul Scholes, MAN UTD v Barcelona
Poor marking by Barca, but a typically pure strike by the Ginger Ninja.
19. Peter Crouch, LIVERPOOL v Galatasaray
In which Crouchinho uses his ridiculously long legs to wonderful effect.
18. Charles-Edouard Coridon, PSG v Porto
Freaky brilliance from a one-goal wonder.
17. Samuel Eto’o, BARCELONA v Panathinaikos
A magical finish (first goal in the compilation).
16. Paul Gascoigne, RANGERS v Bucharest
Gazza at his best, showing more pace than many people credited him with (goal is 1:40 into the compilation): LINK
15. Cristiano Ronaldo, MAN UTD v Arsenal
Manuel Almunia might have done better, but what audacity and nerve from C-Ron.
14. Lucho Gonzalez, PORTO v Hamburg
Smashed in on the volley, just like the commentator says.
13. Georghe Hagi, GALATASARAY v Monaco
Boom. That is all.
12. Michael Essien, CHELSEA v Barcelona
Strong like bull.
11. Steven Gerrard, LIVERPOOL v Olympiakos
Stevie G resuces his team from an early CL exit with this thunderbolt. “Ohhh, you beauty! What a hit son! What a hit!”
Take a deep breath… OK, now Pies presents the Top 10:
10. Pablo Aimar, VALENCIA v Liverpool
The final ball to Aimar is just a thing of gorgeousness. Not the