Snapshot: Goodison Park Remembers The 96 Victims Of The Hillsborough Tragedy

By Alan Duffy

Putting aside local rivalries, Everton paid tribute to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough tragedy before their game last night with Newcastle United.

As well as listing the names of each of the victims of that terrible day, a young boy and girl, dressed in Everton and Liverpool kits and with a nine and six on their backs, held hands in the middle of the pitch. Applause rang out around the ground as the Hollies ‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother” was played in the stadium. A touching and emotional tribute indeed.

By Alan Duffy on September 18th, 2012 in Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle Utd. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
comments

7 Responses to “Snapshot: Goodison Park Remembers The 96 Victims Of The Hillsborough Tragedy”

1. [...] …A city united: Everton show their class by paying respects to 96 victims of …Daily MailSnapshot: Goodison Park Remembers The 96 Victims Of The Hillsborough …Who Ate All The [...]

2. usrick says:

As usual, very classy conduct by the blue side of Merseyside. But then Everton has always been a classy club and the Merseyside rivalry has always been an example of what a rivalry should look like – rivalry without hatred.

3. wef says:

Well said, usrick!

4. Holland 1945 says:

Speaking as a blue, sorry Usrick, there is a lot of hatred! I despise LFC with every fibre of my being.

But you put football aside at times like this. At the end of the day most blues had family and friends there on that day, and so naturally club allegiance is just trivial in the face of it all.

5. Rob says:

Holland,
    I agree with you about the hatred. I think it mostly comes from the younger fans.
    I’m a Red myself and have always disliked Everton, but last night I was so touched by that tribute and thought about the reaction on Merseyside when Rhys Jones was killed that I actually cheered the Blues on. I was thrilled when Leighton Baines scored; how appropriate.
    I think I’ve turned the corner.
    Merseyside United

6. Holland 1945 says:

I sincerely hope the relationship between the two clubs can be repaired somewhat. The friendly (ish) derbies of the 80s would be preferable to the viciousness of the modern day ones.

At the end of the day, it’s tough to completely dislike a club when half of your friends and family are fans!

7. Roshan says:

Not many clubs can boast class as much as Everton. They simply ooze class.