Carlos Tevez Returns To Man City, But Does He Have A Part To Play In The Title Run-In?

Alan Duffy

14th, February 2012

By Alan Duffy

Next to Luis Suarez and his recent actions, fellow South American firebrand Carlos Tevez suddenly looks like a misunderstood little pussy cat (ish). However, having been left out in the cold by Roberto Mancini and after seeing potential moves to Serie A and Ligue 1 fall through, the pitbull striker has now returned to Manchester with his passion for the game apparently restored.

The former United striker has not played for City since September after he apparently refused to come on as a sub against Bayern Munich.  However, in an interview with Fox Sports in Argentina, he is now apparently raring to go. He said:

“I can imagine myself going on to the field and I’m going to have to be brilliant (to win over the critics) It’s not going to be easy for me nor the fans.”

“If I was wrong, I say sorry. I sincerely believe I did not make a mistake. If it’s true (Mancini would welcome me back), of course I like that, if it’s for the media, no.”

However, in recounting the situation on that fateful night back in September, Tevez also said:

“I was kind of in a bad mood and when he brings on (Nigel) de

Posted in Man City, South America

1. Chris says:

I noticed he turned up at the airport in a shirt with his own face on the front. Nice touch.

2. Rob says:

Man City fans, please boo this guy. He’s only coming back because he’s out of options.

3. Grant says:

Listening to what I’m pretty sure is the fullest explanation of the whole situation (admittedly It’s not exactly from an unbiased source), I actually sort of see Tevez’s point of view. Now the way it was handled afterwords by him (stropping off to South America and whatnot) was uncalled for, but in the actual moment, Mancini comes out worst from this. It’s like when you were a kid and your mom stubs her toe or cuts or burns herself cooking, and she yells at you for not doing your homework, as though that would have prevented her from hurting herself.

Now obviously football managers have hot tempers, and they don’t like losing or insubordination on their own, and Tevez should be able to handle that. But it seems like the whole thing was relatively minor and Mancini used it to blackball Tevez and reenforce some authority over his team. Maybe the club also thought they could use it as a way to cash in on him and get closer to being in the black, but they also chose to hold the line on his transfer fee, as well, so that seems unlikely.

What I think is interesting is that the whole build up reeks of Man City’s assumption that they were just going to roll into the Champions League and get out of the group if not finish tops, much like Spurs did the year before. The difference of course is that Spurs had played in the Europa League for several successive seasons (finishing 5th twice in a row, winning the Carling Cup, etc.) so their coefficient was enough to get them into the second pot for the draw. That meant that even though they drew the holders in Inter, they were still able to get through the group relatively easily, and they even topped the group at the end. Man City had been in Europa recently, too, but they hadn’t been there as consistently, and as a result they were in the third pot for the draw and got Bayern and a tougher than expected Napoli team.

Basically, though the whole thing smacks of the kind of situation that starts out small, and because both sides behave like children, it goes nuclear before anyone understands what’s happening.

4. __wowza says:

see you in russia/north america/china, mr tevez.

5. Roc says:

Why is Mancini even considering to let him play in the first team. Stick him in the reserves and let him rot till the summer.

6. bl says:

Truth is I’m not sure Citeh need him.

Their form has slipped a bit recently but that has been more down to losing Yaya and Kompany then not having Kolo to fill Komapany’s spot.

I don’t think City have had any problem up front, in fact the only problem is giving everyone enough game time.

Aguero is the most subbed player in the prem, that says a lot about City’s attacking options.

7. Squillaci says:

If your boss mistreated you like that, don’t you wish you did the same thing as Tevez did?