John Carew Unveils New Neck Tattoo – ‘My Life, My Menstruation’

The keen-eyed amongst you may have noticed that Stoke striker John Carew unveiled some fresh ink not so very long ago, though you may not have spotted the rather embarrassing spelling mistake that lies therein.

The big Norwegian has had a tattoo on his neck that reads ‘Ma Vie, Mes Régles’ – which theoretically should translate (Babelfish approved) as ‘My Life, My Rules’.

However, a French professor at Oslo University has highlighted the fact that the use of the accent over the word ‘Régles’ means Carew’s motto translates rather differently.

Apparently, by incorporating an acute accent (é) instead of a grave accent (è), Carew’s daubings translate literally as either ‘My Life, My Period’ or ‘My Life, My Menstruation’.

Now, are you going to tell him, or shall I?

By Chris on February 9th, 2011 in FAIL, Funnies, Stoke City. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
comments

20 Responses to “John Carew Unveils New Neck Tattoo – ‘My Life, My Menstruation’”

1. Nick the villan says:

whatever it says it looks awful.

2. Huge says:

This is bullsh*t. “Règles” means rules, the accent has nothing to do with it. “Régles” just doesn’t exist.

3. Chris says:

Heh. WOW! There’s a pad that used to have the tagline “It has wings!” referring to the tabs on the side that adhere to the knickers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSxKPbwTYY&feature=related
    Someone’s seriously F*@king with poor John…

4. Sham says:

I’m pretty certain that “j’ai mes régles” means “i have my period” in French.

5. Alan Harrison says:

Yeah this is rubbish. Régles does not exist in French. However Règles is indeed used to mean periods, as well as rules. This does not mean that Carew or his tattooist has made a mistake. It just means the word has several meanings. Here’s a French website talking about periods (règles).

6. Denis_B says:

Well if it is a period we all know the name from the place the blood comes from – perhaps a match made in heaven :)

7. Huge says:

Indeed, règles can be used to mean periods, but régles with an “é” just plain doesn’t exist.

8. SeanBCFC says:

could it possibly translate to “i wanted a tattoo on my neck so everyone could see”

9. [...] wieder mal hat sich der Tätowierer verschrieben. Und wieder mal habe ich schallend übner diese Geschichte gelacht. Dieser Eintrag wurde veröffentlicht unter Uncategorized. Permalink in die Lesezeichen [...]

10. Huge says:

It could, Sean. Indeed it could.

11. C says:

Discussions on a football blog about periods, the end is nigh…

12. DJ says:

What a plonker

13. Santi says:

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone seen Sneijder’s goal against Austria?

14. Martin says:

That’s a fake – but your, dear Mr. Wright. I don’know what is all about, but in French word “Règles” exist in many meanings – either “Rules” and “Menstruation” – via French dictionary, check it

15. [...] Shit, but impressive. Lets hope he got the spell-checker involved before committing. [...]

16. Jorge says:

I hope the ex-French professor at Oslo University has another job.

17. rf says:

There is no such french word: Régles. The Carew word is wrong, but it doesn’t mean “menstruations”. The french word for rules and mesnstruations are spelled exactly the same.
    BTW, that professor denies having said this nonesense.

18. Julio Laker says:

Definitely not a word, funnily enough sport10 a French website is reporting the same story, and getting as much stick for getting it wrong from comments, it just shows that crap spelling and crap journalism are universal. Carew may as well have written I am a complete cock on his neck because that’s exactly what he is.

19. Alison says:

I’d just like to reiterate that the word is ‘règles’ whether you’re talking about rules or menstrual periods, and the tattooist made a boo-boo with the accent aigu, as there is no such word as ‘régles.’ Had the accent been facing the right way, it would have been as intended; if anything, he may have wanted to consider the double meaning before getting inked. Goes to show you, don’t get a phrase tattooed in a language you don’t understand just because it “sounds fancier.” Who knows what you’ll end up with? That said, hooray for men-struation!

20. Johne149 says:

It is also possible that Zynga’s chosen advertising network is to blame if we dddakebafgbb