Newcastle keeper Shay Given reveals he passed out in Upton Park showers

Ollie Irish

3rd, October 2006

2 Comments

Given_1Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given has told how he passed out in the showers at Upton Park after sustaining a bowel injury in a collision with Marlon Harewood. Given, aged 30, said: "I was stretchered off and thought it was easing. I had a shower, got hit by a pain and then passed out for nine or 10 seconds, probably from my body shutting down."

The injury has already been likened to those sustained in a car crash, and now Given claims his surgeon compared his injury to having acid poured into his stomach (ouch!). The Republic of Ireland international is expected to be out of action for another month.

[Rob Parker]

You have already read 4 premium articles for free today
Access immediately the premium content with Multipass

Or come back tomorrow

Posted in Newcastle Utd, Transfers & Rumours, West Ham Utd

Share this article: Email

2 Comments

  1. Scot says:

    Not entirely surprising – after being viciously kicked in the guts by Marlon Harewood – who should’ve been sent off for reckless play. It was a reckless and savage tackle and Harewood should’ve been sent off.

  2. Scot says:

    Not entirely surprising after being viciously kicked in the guts by Marlon Harewood – who should’ve been sent off immediately for dangerous play. If that had ruptured Shay’s spleen, our keeper would’ve died and Harewood would’ve been a murderer. Hey, there’s a thought for a new offence – Sports Manslaughter. What d’ ya reckon?