By Chris Wright
Today’s the big day for dedicated gossip hounds like me, so we’ll be posting regular updates of all the rumours, comings and goings and OFFICIAL news that transfer deadline day has to offer – and, unlike watching Jim White over on SSN all day, you’ll probably wake up tomorrow with both eardrums intact.
Hit refresh to see the latest shenanigans at the top of the pile as and when, and please feel free to share your thoughts on the day’s happenings in the comments box below…
– Last one, Arsenal have confirmed that Nicklas Bendtner has joined Sunderland on a one-year loan deal and Cameron Jerome has finalised his move to Stoke.
– Right dudes and dudettes, that’s me done for today (17 bloody hours at the coal face!) – be back with a ‘grizzly aftermath’ round-up tomorrow morning. Thanks for stopping by, it’s been epic!
You can probably expect Arteta’s move to Arsenal and Meireles’ move to Chelsea being squared away by the FA over the course of the next few hours. Scratch that, Meireles’ move (£12 million, 4 years) has just been announced on the Chelsea website , and the BBC are confirming that Arteta has indeed joined Arsenal.
– Via SSN, Aston Villa have completed the signings of Tottenham pair Jermaine Jenas on loan and Alan Hutton on a permanent deal.
– The British transfer window is now closed . Still lots of time for deals to be announced though – tends to go on for several days, expect announcements on Crouch, Arteta, Meireles et al sooner rather than later.
– According to all and sundry, Arsenal have agreed terms and struck a deal with Mikel Arteta but have NOT got the papers to the FA on time…time to play the waiting game.
– Shaun Wright-Phillips to QPR is a done deal…
– We’ve got word that Asamoah Gyan is waiting on an offer from Galatasaray which may see him engineer a move from Sunderland right at the death. He’s got seven minutes.
– The BBC are claiming that ‘Arry’s “spurned £40m Chelsea bid for Modric” was actually £30 million + Alex.
– Twente have just confirmed that Bryan Ruiz is now a Fulham player – Cottagers to make an announcement shortly.
– OFFICIAL: Craig Bellamy re-signs for Liverpool on a two-year deal (will wear the No. 39 shirt), Scott Dann joins Blackburn on a four-year deal.
– RE: Meireles – Chelsea have made a £15 million bid for the Liverpool midfielder and Daniel Sturridge may be about to toddle off in the opposite direction! Very exciting, 30 minutes left for anything to happen!
– “I have signed with Arsenal. Very happy and excited.” Yossi Benayoun completes his loan move to the Emirates.
– ‘Blue sky’ thinking here, but Meireles to Arsenal rather than Chelsea?
– Shocker! Liverpool have received a written transfer request from Raul Meireles – confirmed on their official site…
– A bit of non-transfer related news: Ricardo Carvalho has quit the Portuguese national team this afternoon after being ‘disrespected’ by manager Paulo Bento at their training camp.
– Tottenham have just officially confirmed that Wilson Palacios has joined Stoke on a four-year deal. Still nothing on the Crouch deal.
– Yossi to Arsenal will be a season-long loan.
– News is breaking that Yakubu has completed a move to Blackburn – plenty of chicken for him to graze on at Ewood. This transfer window hasn’t been particularly kind to Everton, has it? Still, Straqualursi!
– The Mirror are pressing ahead and rubber-stamping Yossi Benayoun’s move to Arsenal on the footballing world’s behalf. Nothing official…yet.
– Per Mertesacker £8.8 million transfer finally confirmed on Arsenal’s website. Herr Per will wear the No. 4 shirt…
– Adam Johnson spotted at Loftus Road?
– We’re hearing that Spurs midfielder Wilson Palacios has now completed his £8 million move to Stoke and that we’re not long from hearing a similar announcement vis-a-vis Peter Crouch.
– Reports are coming in that Mikel Arteta has asked to leave Everton but will not hand in a transfer request. Makes…sense?
– Almost done: Peter Crouch has passed medical at Stoke City with a four-year deal agreed. Last few contract details are being finalised…
– More on the Arteta kerfuffle: Apparently the fee (£10 million) isn’t the problem, the sticking point is that he’s chasing £90,000-a-week. Still, the odds are that it’s going to go through before the cut-off. Yossi Benayoun still expected to join Gunners as well.
– West Ham have signed Guy Demel on a free, two-year deal.
– Arsenal back in again for Mikel Arteta according to SSN. Agent working hard to hammer out acceptable personal terms.
– Most barmy rumour of the day goes, unsurprisingly, to SSN’s Chris Kamara, who reckons Man City have offered £100 million plus Mario Balotelli for Messi – and that Barcelona ‘considering it’. Riiiiiiiight.
– ‘Arry has just confirmed that Chelsea actually lodged a £40 million bid for Luka Modric earlier today. If Luka’s head wasn’t right before, he’s going to be a jibbering mess now!
– After being cornered in the Spurs Lodge carpark (where else?), Harry Redknapp has told SSN that ‘a big one got away’, i.e, Gary Cahill transfer is not going to happen, which means that Seb Bassong won’t be leaving for QPR. However, Jenas and Hutton are still set for Villa.
– Twitter is alive with talk of ‘Kaka to Tottenham’, mostly slating the very thought of it!
– Tim Cahill is being mentioned in passing with a deadline day switch to Stoke, now that would be a surprise deal!
– A few bits and bobs to keep you abreast of: Arsenal have ended their interest in Mikel Arteta after having their £10 million offer knocked back, Burnley have signed Junior Stanislas from West Ham, Newcastle have hijacked Fulham’s £10 million deal for Bryan Ruiz, Gael Kakuta has joined Bolton on loan until January and the Trotters have also completed the £4 million signing of David N’Gog from Liverpool.
– Man City have confirmed that Owen Hargreaves is officially on board for the next year via their website…
– Shaun Maloney, Celtic to Wigan, £1 million. Done.
– Right. seeing as though it’s gone a little quiet on the bullshit front, I’m going to take a strategic tea-break. Be back shortly.
– Sky Sports News reckon that Craig Bellamy is having a medical at Liverpool as we speak after receiving word from his agent that his Man City pay-off has been successfully negotiated.
– Just a little heads up that the Italian transfer window is now closed (as of 18:00 BST) meaning clubs can still sell but not buy.
– Finally, ‘Arry makes his move…
[Via Oscar Pye-Jeary]
– A sad, sad day to be a Liverpool fan. First Poulsen, now Phillip Degen is in Glasgow putting the finishing touches on a move to Rangers. And you thought Scottish football was in the mucky muck before…
– Looks like Yossi Benayoun will be heading to Arsenal if the BBC Sport team are to be believed.
– Tottenham are currently favourites to sign Gary Cahill from Bolton though the move is being rated as 50/50 by those in the know. Good signing for Spurs if they can pull it off and ship out Bassong/Kaboul?
– A classic rears it’s ugly head: Arsenal sign Messi…
– Tottenham have just confirmed via their official Twitter feed that David Bentley has ‘reached an agreement’ and will move to West Ham on loan for the rest of the season.
– Here’s a little picture of Mikel Arteta’s missus, Lorena Bernal, to help pass the time…
– The real (we think) Guillem Balague is suggesting that Asamoah Gyan has indeed handed in a transfer request at Sunderland, but that he fancies a move to Turkey rather than Tottenham after talks with Mallorca fell through.
– THIS COULD BE THE ‘BIG ONE’. Rumours starting to spread that Mikel Arteta could be the midfielder that Arsenal are going hell for leather to sign. Several well-placed sources seem to think that the Gunners might get their man for around £8-10 million.
– The odds on Daniel Sturridge joining Liverpool before the window closes have just been dramatically slashed – surely the Blues wouldn’t flog him to their resurgent rivals, smacks of insanity to us.
– Per Mertesacker’s personal website has confirmed that the German defender has signed for Arsenal on a five-year deal.
– ‘Royston Drenthe to Everton on a free’ is now a thing that might happen. Fingers crossed he doesn’t choose to rap about it any time soon!
– OFFICIAL! Fulham have confirmed the signing of former Juventus defender Zdenek Grygera on a free transfer on a one-year deal.
– Brighton are closing in on the signing of former Valencia winger Vincente, Yes, that Vincente. The 30-year old Spaniard