Brazilian footballer almost killed by chewing gum (with video evidence)

Ollie Irish

27th, August 2009


Brazilian striker Aloisio made a memorable debut for Vasco da Gama on Tuesday, in a league match against Brasiliense. Not memorable good though; memorable bad. Bad meaning fatal, almost.
In the second half Aloisio knocked heads with an opponent and collapsed to the pitch, unconscious. He stopped breathing because he part-swallowed his chewing gum. Scary.
“It was a very serious situation,” Vasco’s doctor, Paulo César Rocha, said. “Luckily we identified the problem quickly and took the gum out to help him breathe again.”
“I don’t remember a lot,” Aloisio said from his hospital bed, in between chews on a tasty, healing stick of Juicy Fruit. “I only remember the doctor taking the gum out. I have never been scared like this – no more chewing gum for me.”
[@ my Dirty Tackle beeyatches]