Clive Tyldesley Explains Why He Won’t Be Pronouncing James Rodriguez’s Name Properly In The Foreseeable Future

Soccer - FIFA World Cup 2014 - Round of 16 - Colombia v Uruguay - Estadio do Maracana

As part of his World Cup blog over on the Kick It Out website, ITV commentator Clive Tyldesley has explained the reasoning behind his huge decision to not pronounce James Rodriguez’s name properly throughout the tournament so far.

Despite the world and his dog now knowing that Rodriguez’s first name should be pronounced “Hamez”, Clive ain’t playin’ ball for fear of confusing us simple Brits.

It’s all a little bit self-important and pompous, but our Clive loves nothing more than to labour under the misbelief that he is a humble yet indispensable thread in the rich tapestry of the English football so that’s probably to be expected.

Under the headline “TO JAMES OR NOT TO JAMES? THAT IS THE QUESTION”, Tyldesley writes:

“Nothing that I do or say on air creates more Twitter traffic than pronunciations. On Friday night, James Rodriguez will again take to centre stage at this wonderful World Cup. I will call him ‘Jaimz’, others will call him ‘Hamez’. By now, I think we all know who he is.

“I am in the identification business, I am not a linguist. Recognising more than seven hundred players at a World Cup makes for an interesting investigation into what identifies us from one another. Colour is the single most important distinguishing feature skin colour, hair colour, boot colour, wristband colour. Once I have worked out who is who, my job is to try and let the rest of you know.

“Believe it or believe it not, I do try to get pronunciations correct. The football website, Goal.Com, actually has a page on which you can listen to native speakers announcing the names of each of the players involved in this tournament. Listen, learn, rehearse, repeat. Easy! And, yes, in his native Spanish language James Rodriguez becomes ‘Hamez Rod-reeg-ez’.

“The complications and

Posted in Media, Newsnow, World Cup

1. Tom says:

How hard is it to say HAMEZ? It’s not like we don’t have those sounds in the English language.

2. the69ersfc says:

What a load of self obsessed, self important waffle from Mr.T
    Barry Davies is the benchmark for a top class football commentator. Would he feel the need to come out with all that tosh? I doubt it.

3. Mr Dude says:

Completely agree with clive. Noone calls Ciaran Clarke “Key-rawn” as it’s suppoed to be pronounced. He’s right to pronounce them how they are read. Kim Kallstrom; surname starts with a K yet is properly pronounced Shullstrom. Anyone remember Jaap Stam (Yuup shtum). No attempt is EVER made with middle eastern or eastern asian names at all so why not just pronounce all names comfortably. Hray-al Mah-riid, Barthelona, Sporting Hee-haw. Unnecessary.

4. squiggle says:

@ Tom

Exactly. I understand changing the pronunciation slightly when a language doesn’t normally have those sounds (for example, anglicising the ‘r’ in ‘Alain Prost’). But completely changing the pronunciation? Very annoying.

I didn’t realise that any English speakers didn’t know how to pronounce ‘Eden Hazard’, apart from those who can barely pronounce English.

5. Mr Dude says:

Completely agree with clive. Noone calls Ciaran Clarke “Key-rawn” as it’s supposed to be pronounced. He’s right to pronounce them how they are read. Kim Kallstrom; surname starts with a K yet is properly pronounced Shullstrom. Anyone remember Jaap Stam (Yuup shtum). No attempt is EVER made with middle eastern or eastern asian names at all so why not just pronounce all names comfortably. Hray-al Mah-riid, Barthelona, Sporting Hee-haw. Unnecessary.

6. barf says:

I don’t get what the big hoo-haa is to be honest. It’s been something that’s been part and parcel of commentary since I can remember.

If anything, they come off a bit pretentious and often wrong when trying to get a Spanish inflection in here, a French twang there.

You can’t have it both ways. My name is as British as they come, but I don’t get my knickers in a twist when someone Greek can’t pronounce it right.

7. Joni Trôns says:

As a Welshman, I’m quite used to the utter lack of effort by my neighbours from across the border when attempting to pronounce anything other than “normal” English names!

8. You suck cock says:

So i’ll say Clive “Taeel-Des-Lay”, alright mate?
    Lazy retarded english twat.

9. Fnarf says:

I’m guessing he’s one of those twaffles who keeps calling Argentina “Argentinia” too.

This is what Englishmen are well-known for across the globe: the people who can’t be bothered to make even the slightest effort to pronounce things correctly. Getting them wrong has always been a point of pride.

10. Ken says:

Anyone heard the world football phone in? According to tim legandino vickery, the brazilians pronounce Jonathan Woodgate ‘woodgeegatee’. Anyone Insulted that they pronounce it differently? Of course not.

11. stoffel says:

I’m astonished he thought that much about it. He doesn’t think much about the rest of the shite he spurts out.

12. LBRL says:

One commentator said recently he shall be calling him HAMES, otherwise it would be like calling Thierry Henry as Terry Henry….Think it was on the BBC last week. Anyone remember who it was who said that?

13. Melba says:

Not big deal, we all know who the man is !!!

14. squiggle says:

I don’t find mispronunciation especially insulting, I just find it irritating that some people are content to stumble about in a fog.

15. Brodie of Milton says:

“James” i.e. “Ha-mez”, is not a traditional spelling in Spanish/Latino/Hispanic culture. His parents chose the English spelling of the name for him for whatever reason. It’s actually a rather cool name if you ask me, and I am fairly sure he could care less how we anglos pronounce it; he probably digs it

16. Joe says:

Surely the main issue is the reason he sometimes gets his first name, sometimes his last, depending on what part of the world he is being marketed. They should have just left the factory model name printed on the side of the the manufacturers box : Latino Christiano SoccerMom Product Shifter.