He’s a goalkeeper, Jim, but not as we know it
1. What a well worked goal from the centre-back Pepe. He was a more impressive attacking threat than Nuno Gomes.
2. Portugal thoroughly deserved their win having hit the woodwork three times. It could have been four or five goals.
3. David Pleat is obsessed with threesomes. In the first half, he said: “It’s a threesome in midfield.” In the second half: “Turkey converted to a threesome up front.”
4. It is not too often you see a team containing Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco and Nani outdived by the opposition, but Turkey managed it.
5. A great performance from Colin Kazim Richards. The English-born striker seems to be angling for a move back to the Premier League, and with displays like that a few clubs might be interested.