By Chris Wright
Real Madrid have told Sergio Ramos that they are unwilling to sell him under any circumstances after the unsettled centre-half met with the club’s president, Florentino Perez, in Guangzhou on Sunday afternoon.
Ramos was widely reported to have informed Perez of his intentions to leave Real after a tense meeting at the club’s Valdebebas training ground a month or so ago.
According to the Guardian, the relationship between the pair has “become difficult” since then as Manchester United wait very openly in the wings having strategically pulled Ramos into the David De Gea mire in a bid to filibuster the seemingly inevitable departure of their first-choice goalkeeper.
However, following the “tense” meeting in China this morning, which was attended by Perez, Ramos, a couple of Real Madrid suits and Ramos’s brother/agent and apparently “ran on into the evening”, it would appear that the Spanish club have reiterated in no uncertain terms that they will not willingly allow the 29-year-old defender to leave this summer.
Ramos has two years left on his current contract at the Bernabeu and therefore holds minimal sway in the whole furore.
That said, there are still five weeks of fun and games left until the transfer window closes so, despite Real’s concerted attempts to bring the matter to a close, we sincerely doubt we’ve heard the last of this increasingly tedious little saga.