We’ve most definitely been here before but it’s being reported that Eden Hazard has finally made a decision over his future at Chelsea in so far that he doesn’t intend to have one beyond June.
As part of a career retrospective interview set to air on French radio station RMC on Wednesday night, Hazard has said: “I know what I will do. I have made my decision.” – with many taking that as a clear signal that the 28-year-old is on his way to Real Madrid at the nearest available juncture.
According to Matt Law of the Telegraph, the interview was recorded around two months ago, since which point Hazard has maintained a deliberate coy air while facing questions about his future from the English media – to keep everybody guessing.
Below are just a selection of quotes attributed to Hazard regarding his plans over the past year or so…
- “I can decide if I want to stay or go, but Chelsea will make the final decision – if they want to let me go. You know my preferred destination” – July 2018
- “I have two more years of contract and we will see what will happen. Leave this year? I will not leave. I’m fine here, we’ll see what happens in a year or two” – August 2018
- “Real Madrid is the best club in the world. I don’t want to lie today. It is my dream since I was a kid. I was dreaming about this club. We will see” – October 2018
- “I want to win the Ballon d’Or. That’s why I want to go [to Real Madrid], maybe” – November 2018
- “I do not want to have any regrets at the end of my it’s a decision I’m going to make, I do not know when, but I’ll take it” – December 2018
- “You know me, I’ve always loved Real […] we’ll see what happens” – December 2018
- “Why not (join Real)? You know what the answer is so you don’t have to ask the question. I won everything in England but that doesn’t mean I’m leaving. I’ve always said that I want to explore something different [after the Premier League], but there are also things that make me want to stay” – January 2019
You get the picture. You can almost hear the eyelashes fluttering from here.
It is thought the RMC interview is set to confirm the Belgian’s intention to leave Chelsea at the end of the season and finally fulfil his dream of signing for Real Madrid.
What’s more, the Telegraph add that Real have “given Hazard the assurances he needs” over a large bid that will be forthcoming at the end of the season, with Chelsea still looking for around £100million despite the player having just 12 months left to run on his contract.
It’s all a little reminiscent of Antoine Griezmann’s ridiculous ‘Le Interview’ saga last summer, in which the French striker reportedly recorded two separate video messages – one confirming he was staying put at Atletico Madrid, the other confirming he’d be leaving for Barcelona – which were leaked to the press before the big reveal was made the following month.
These little teases just love the drama, don’t they?