10 things the Community Shield taught us about the new season

Ollie Irish

6th, August 2007

RooneyCom.JPG 1 Chelsea’s reserves have pretty much got their league sewn-up already.
2 Thomas Kuszczak and Ben Foster (when he is fit again) will have their work cut out ousting Edwin van der Sar.
3 Wayne Rooney is back! Was he ever away? Anyway, Fergie has predicted a big season from the England star and he made a promising start as he ran at defenders in a way he didn’t seem confident enough to do at times last season.

4 The Premiership is going to be very tight again this season. Although Chelsea have a lot of players out injured, United also have a couple of their summer signings to filter into the squad.
5 Ryan Giggs is still going

Posted in Chelsea, Man Utd, Top 10s & lists

1. bleustilton says:

11. Man. Utd. won’t win the title this season. The curse has found its next victim.

2. gp says:

Curse my brown Asian ass! Can’t believe people in an advanced country like England still believe in shitty stuff like the “Community Shield Curse”. Correlation does not imply causality, mate. Haven’t you learned that in your intro econ class?

3. Callan says:

chelsea have broken the curse before and someone will do it again.

4. MARINA GABRIEL says:

I don’t believe in curses but if it means Man.U. won’t win the championship,well,I’m all for it!
    What happened was, in my opinion, “The Chosen One” didn’t take his opponent too seriously (can’t blame him; how can you take the purple-faced Altzheimer’s sufferer seriously?) and had a weak squad and an even weaker tactical plan. And, of course, His Ugliness managed to save all the penalty shots but, had Jose taken the game a little more seriously, it would never have gotten to that.
    I’m no Chelsea fan and neither am I a Man.U. fan, but if I were forced to choose between the two, it wouldn’t be the purple-faced old geezer’s team.

5. mike says:

I think entry #3 is misspelled. It should read something like: “Wayne Rooney continues to be the most over-rated footballer on earth. No matter how mediocre his performance, starry-eyed english fans still see brilliance.”

6. gp says:

Haha, I like Jose, but he’s just a sore loser. He’ll never admit defeat… And as to whether he took the game too lightly, I doubt it. Jose’d rather let his house burn than lose a game…