Netherlands v Spain, 2010 World Cup Final: Who You Got?

Ollie Irish

11th, July 2010

By Ollie Irish

The Dutch squad train at the Soccer City Stadium ahead of Sunday’s World Cup final. Photo: PA

After 63 matches and God knows how many blown vuvuzelas and ballooned set pieces, the 2010 World Cup is down to its end game: the Netherlands v Spain, an all-European final in Africa.

There will be a new World Cup champion and most people, including the bookies, are firmly in the Spanish corner. European champions Spain , so similar to the all-conquering Barcelona, have not dazzled in this tournament, and after a shock defeat to the Swiss, it looked like they might not even get out of their group.

But thanks mostly to David Villa, they did scramble to the knockout stages (they did have the advantage of a very weak group), and it’s there that they blossomed, with lynchpins Xavi and Andres Iniesta at last finding their feet, thereby lightening the load on new Barcelona team-mate Villa.

Their effective performance against the dangerous Germans was a lesson in the importance of possession. When Spain take the lead, they take the ball and refuse to give it back. 1-0 thrashings are forged in this way.

Posted in Betting & predictions, Featured, International football, World Cup

1. Hootie says:

Calling Van Persie match fit is a bit of a stretch. Between him and Torres, this should be the greatest ever showcase of world class strikers on shit form.

2. Ollie says:

I watched Van Persie very closely in the semi and as the match wore on, he looked sharper and sharper. I know it’s a long shot but I feel he’ll shine today. As for Torres, he’s anything but match fit, as you say.

3. Deckard says:

RVP is totally match fit he’s just not gotten to that level yet. But if you watched closely, he did a lot of good things against Uruguay even though he neither scored nor set up an assist. Van Marwijk believes RVP’s best game will come in the Final. Let’s hope so. Just 4 more hours time to start counting down.

4. Rich says:

I’m not typically in the business of tipping winners, yet I will proudly note that I picked Holland to win the tournament back in early June. I’m going to stick with it: 2-0 via Snijder and Kuyt.

5. Pete says:

Spain will win the cup. 1-0 or 2-1.

6. Rich says:

Welp, I was wrong. Now if you will all excuse me, I’m going to go back to cursing out Robben

:-(

7. Logan says:

Pete wins. Horrible refing IMO

8. Anonymous says:

Hie guys u know wat i was actually astounded with e REF hw he was flashin e cards.That one is not a qualified REF i think. 8 yellow cards wats that????…..