1. Charlize Theron won’t be invited back by Fifa anytime soon. What was she on – a mixture of valium and gin? She looked great and flirted with everyone on the stage, but boy did she talk a lot of shit.
2. David Beckham’s haircut will be great when it’s finished.
3. Haile Gebrselassie is tiny, like an Action Man, but happier.
4. Crappy draw for Africa. Ivory Coast – Africa’s best team – must find a way to get one good result from games against Brazil and Portugal, while Ghana are stuck with two very strong European nations – Germany and Serbia – plus the plucky Australians. For hosts South Africa too, the draw was unkind – France and Mexico stand in their way, and there’s a good chance Bafana Bafana won’t escape from their group, which would be bad news all round for the tournament. Nigeria might be the African team to watch instead, as I expect them to qualify alongside Argentina at the expense of South Korea and Greece. Overall though, not good for the home continent.
5. Good draw for England, even better draw for the USA. Fabio Capello will be confident that his team can win its group, but the real winners are the States, who got as good a draw as they could