1. It is not always the case that the team which has played the best football wins a major tournament wins it, but it was on this occasion. Spain have been the best team from start to finish and they deserved their victory.
2. 1-0 flattered the Germans. Spain absolutely dominated the match apart from arguably two separate five minute spells.
3. It was a great finish from Fernando Torres to score the winning goal. Showing strength, movement determination and a fantastic eye for goal. Or as Alan Shearer put it: “You just look at him here, pull off the centre-back and the left-back.”
4. I stand by my assertion after the semi-final that Philipp Lahm should consider a move into midfield (or as far away from the defence as possible). He was hopeless again and had to be taken out of the firing line at half-time in the interests of the welfare of him and his team.
5. John Motson’s retirement is very much like putting down a family pet who has bowel problems. Once a loved member of the household, he has been spouting crap for just a bit too long for any one to miss him too much. On his grand finale he informed us that Kevin Kuranyi has won 48, 49 and then 50 caps for Germany.