FA Cup: Man City Ease Into Quarter-Finals After 5-1 Huddersfield Hammering (Photos)

Alan Duffy

1st, March 2017

Manchester City will face Middlesbrough in the last eight of the FA Cup after Pep Guardiola’s side strolled to victory against Championship side Huddersfield on Wednesday night.

Having drawn 0-0 away to Huddersfield in the original tie, the Citizens were looking to make the most of home advantage against the Championship side.

However, despite Terriers boss David Wagner naming a weakened side for the clash, it was the promotion hopefuls who took a shock lead on seven minutes, with Harry Bunn firing through Claudio Bravo’s legs.

That goal came just after Leroy Sane had hit the frame of the Huddersfield goal, but on the half-hour mark, the impressive German levelled the scores, courtesy of a close-range effort from a Raheem Sterling centre.

Two more City goals then followed in quick succession, firstly via a penalty from Sergio Aguero after Nicolás Otamendi was fouled in the box.

Within eight minutes of Sane’s goal, it was 3-1 to the Citizens, via a rare goal from Pablo Zabaleta.

Goalkeeper Bravo has endured a difficult first season in England and his boss Guardiola was less than impressed by a section of City fans ironically cheering a Huddersfield shot just before the break.

The visitors kept pushing for a second goal after the break, but it was Aguero who would net his second of the night, after a ball into the box from Sterling.

A late strike from sub Kelechi Iheanacho would seal the deal for the Premier League side, which sets up a quarter-final tie between the teams of Barcelona legend Guardiola and ex-Real Madrid defender Aitor Karanka at the Riverside Stadium on March 11.

Terriers’ boss Wagner watched the game from the stands, courtesy of his touchline ban. However, the German won’t be too distraught by the defeat with his focus very much on catching Newcastle and Brighton at the top of the Championship.

Posted in FA Cup, Man City, Videos

Share this article: Email

Leave a Reply